A Story Of Adoption Continued...Chapter 9

This story is sort of a diary for me. Even though what I am writing is not current, the story is still going on. I am just a few years behind in telling it!
So keep reading as it will only get better.
Today I am excited to begin to share with you my diary entries from my first visit with Jeannie and her family. Before I went to Edmonton, my amazing Mother-in-law spent many hours talking with Jeannie, getting to know her and telling her things about me since she had known me since I was 16. She also let Jeannie in on the fact that she made a coffee cake that was so good, it was a common request at Ben's family get-togethers! Everyone LOVED Mama G's coffee cake. So of course Jeannie wanted to try it.....so my Mother-in-law made one and I carried it with me on the plane...I still laugh about that! How I shlept an entire coffee cake to Edmonton!
It was June 15th 2001. My husband Ben and myself were on the plane, about a half an hour away from landing. My palms were sweaty and my heart began to pound fast and hard. Reality seemed to set in so quick that I felt unprepaired. I got off the plane and my breathing became rapid and short. I stopped in the first washroom we walked by to check my make-up and hair, put on some more parfume and make sure I looked perfect for them. I came out of the washroom and looked around as I walked, not knowing at what point they would meet us. We arrived at an escalator that was going to take us down to where the baggage claim was. I was used to the Toronto airport where you grab all your luggage and then exit through a door where you meet the people who are picking you up. Only people who were travelling are allowed in the baggage claim area of the Toronto airport.
This was not the case at the Edmonton airport. So just as we were getting on the escalator I let my guard down thinking we had some time before we would meet with them. As we are travelling down, I begin to see a group of people who are all standing arm in arm huddled together at the bottom of the escalator. One had a video camera and 2 others had cameras. I could see Jeannie in the middle, being closely held and supported by the group around her. She had her hand over her mouth and was crying. They all began to jitter and jump. You could see their excitement. I waved and mouthed "Hi" as I began to feel a lump develope in my throat. I could feel tears coming that I had no control over....by the time I reached the bottom of the escalator, I was blubbering! I ran right over to Jeannie first. She ran to me. We hugged and cried. Then Jeannie put both hands on my cheeks and had a look of awe on hers. She held my face and said "You are beautiful....here you are!"
I replied with "I am so glad to finally meet you Jeannie"
I could see that Ben was saying hello to the rest of the Gang, Tania and Tahsa, Tania's boyfriend at the time, Lawrence, and Jeannie's sister Irene. One by one they each came over to me to meet me and hug me. Their love was so concentrated that it flowed right into me. It was awesome. I took a deep breath...finally the hardest part was over, I was able to relax for the first time in weeks.
We walked to Tasha's car. Jeannie went in a different car, Ben and I drove with Tania, Tasha and Lawrence. While driving, I noticed that Tasha was wearing sandles. I looked at her feet and said "Your feet look like mine!" It was the first similarity I had discovered. It was so exciting for me!
We went to a restaurant to eat and relax. It was nice to have time to look at Jeannie and talk to her....and it was only the beginning. We had 4 days ahead of us and I was so excited! I will continue to write soon.....thanks for reading. I hope you are enjoying the story.

No comments: