French Toast Casserole mmmmmmm......

I have this fantastic recipe for a french toast casserole that even the pickiest eater can't resist.
It is a real crowd pleaser and trust me when I tell you that you will impress people with this one! Just a heads up, for those of you who don't know what "CHALLAH" is, it is Jewish egg bread and can be found at most bakeries. it works well with this recipe because traditional Challah is quite sweet. You can use regular white bread as well.

7 eggs
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 unsliced Challah (remove crusts and cut into cubes)1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
*Make the bread and batter mix the night before serving and let it sit in the fridge over night in the casserole dish)~In a large bowl mix eggs,milk and vanilla. Add bread and mix until the bread has absorbed the egg mixture~I do it right in the casserole dish so you don't have to transfer it)Cover and let sit over night in the fridge.The next day (preheat oven to 350)~before baking~ add blueberries, raspberries and or apples. combine sugar, syrup, and melted butter. I also add some cinnamon even though the recipe does not call for it.Drizzle the sugar and butter mixture over the casserole. Bake for 40-45 mins (keep an eye on it, it will puff up and be brownish and you will see it is done)Then, while it is hot I sift icing sugar over it (lots of it...yum...)That's it...so easy and horribly fattening!!
If you do decide to try this one, I would love to hear your feedback on it. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Mmmmm, sounds delicious!!

Unknown said...

That sounds yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Overwhelmed! said...

This sounds really good!

Hey, you should join us on Friday for me weekly "Favorite Ingredients Friday" recipe exchange. We're doing SOUP recipes this Friday. :)

Anonymous said...

Just made it this morning for a last minute change of venue brunch we had planned for today (we were initially supposed to go over to a friend's house but yesterday afternoon I was told plans changed, venue is now my house- Aaaahhhhh!!!!!!). Supermarkets were closed yesterday and did not reopen until today at 9am so I didn't prepare it the night before. I did it all this morning in a matter of 1h 45 m (the time between the supermarket opened and my guests we supposed to arrive) and it was absolutely delicious! I didn't do the icing sugar as I missed reading that part until after the brunch was over and I was looking over the recipe again but to be honest I don't think it needs it, it's yummylicious as it is! I did add cinnamon on top before baking.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.