A Story of Adoption~chapter 1

For years I have been saying that someday I will get a book published. A book about my experiences in life.
I've never even attempted to start that book because I never knew if I was willing to "tell all."
I suppose one day I will reach an age where I don't care what anyone thinks!
I do think that my adoption story is almost a book in itself. I like to tell people the story because people are so facinated by it. As much as I love that, what I love even more is when my experience can help someone else who is considering searching for their family.
So if this blog can help even one person who reads it then I've done my job. At very least I have part of my book done!
I won't be able to tell all in one entry so keep checking back for the continuations. This story deserves not to be rushed or summed up.
I am 34 years old and was adopted from birth. I was adopted into a Jewish home with 2 older brothers ~ Brad (7 years older than me) and Adam (14 months older than me). Brad was my parents natural child and Adam and I were both adopted but from different women.
My Father was a Dentist and my Mother was a stay-at-home Mom. My Mom was wonderful, sweet, loving, affectionate and full of pride of her 3 children. Our parents raised us to know we were adopted~it was just a fact I grew up knowing from birth. And we were to be PROUD of it as far as my Mother was concerned. She always said "You are special because you were chosen, NOT given up."
She also told us that she had a file for each of us with all of the information about our Mother's.
"If you guys ever want to meet your Mother's we will drive you to their front door" she would say. Funny, she would say that but I think the idea of that really scared her deep down inside.
I remember as a kid threatening to go and find my "REAL MOM" when I was pissed off.
How many people could use that as a threat against their parents growing up!!
I think that knowing it would hurt my Mom was why I didn't really think I would ever go looking for her. But I always wondered about my "real Mom"
When I was a kid I wondered things like
What did she look like?
Did she have brown curly hair like me?
As I got older I wondered things like How old was she when she had me? Did she Marry my dad? Did she want to keep me but just couldn't?
Then I lost my Mom to cancer when I was 16. I found myself wanted to meet her for the first time. I think a part of me felt free to do that now that my Mom was gone.
So when I was 18 I started my search. It was 1991.
I remember calling social services adoption unit to start. They told me that my adoption was done privately so there was not much information. They would have to put me on a waiting list for a "search."
They said that they would contact me when they were a few weeks away from beginning my search. I asked how long the waiting list was and they were still doing searches for people who applied back in 1986. So I had a while to wait. I must have moved a dozen times over the next 10 years and every time I moved I would call social services FIRST just in case I was next on the list and let them know of my change of address.
Finally, about 9 years later I got a letter in the mail "You are next on our waiting list for a search for your biological Mother. Please do not contact us until you hear from us. It will take about a year to complete your search"
So that was it. I felt so close but yet so far away.....
I will continue the story soon.
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that you lost your mom when you were 16. How very sad. I do understand the idea that you then felt "free" to look for your birth mother. I have a cousin that waited until he was 40 years old to search for his bio parents (my uncle was his birth father). It was only after his adoptive parents died that he felt "free" too look for his birth parents. I pray my son never feels he has to wait that long, if he wants to know his birth parents. Like you're mom, I will help him in his efforts for reunification.